Artist Rendezvous

OK

Maybe you have questions or want to express your ideas with others? Need help exploring a technique?  

The Artist Rendezvous Forum is the place for you. 

It's the place to create and join in on discussions about art, your inspirations and the website! 

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Discussions [ Previous | Next ]
Lighting when painting Steven 12/27/11 7:56 PM
RE: Lighting when painting kyle 12/27/11 11:57 PM
RE: Lighting when painting kyle 12/28/11 1:30 AM
RE: Lighting when painting Steven 12/29/11 8:26 PM
RE: Lighting when painting airplay 3/13/12 1:57 PM
Lighting when painting
12/27/11 7:56 PM

I'd like to know how other painters artificially light their working paintings when painting either during the day or at night? Also what color temperature bulbs are best to work with?

Report Abuse Report Abuse
RE: Lighting when painting
12/27/11 11:57 PM In response to Steven
  • Hi Steven, here are some of the initial responses from the Cobra faebook group.  Anyone else want to chime in with their recommendations?

Kelly Dombrowski CFL 5000-6500K emoticon
    about an hour ago ·  ·  1
  •  
    Daniel Chow i use the above light mentioned (i get the brightest to bring inside light close to daylight-like brightness, but not blazingly bright) in a soft light box mounted high on a stand.
    40 minutes ago · 
12/28/11 1:30 AM In response to kyle

Another great strategy for a larger area and lighting.  From Casey Baugh.

Casey Baugh I use 12x 4' fluorescent bulbs hung 12' high. 10 are 5000k and 2 are 6500k. The bulbs are spaced out over 6 feet creating a very soft cool light.

12/29/11 8:26 PM In response to kyle

Thanks Kyle for forwarding that info. My paintings don't always start in the studio so having a lot of lighting options to think about really help! Consistency is key I would say.

Cheers

3/13/12 1:57 PM In response to Steven

I like daylight. I have a well lit studio and I prefer to use sunlight. If I'm working at night, then I use a bulb that recreates sunlight. To me sunlight is best.